Have you ever heard of keto or ketogenic diet but have idea whatsoever what that is? Do you have diabetes and would like to know if the keto diet can work with that or not? Are you tired of trying every diet system out there but none seems to work with your diabetes?
I am sure one or two of the questions mentioned above are something you struggle with everyday but with no answer.
In this article, we will go into deep details about everything that has to do with keto diet and diabetes.
We will talk about what exactly is the keto diet, the best ketogenic recipes for diabetes, and everything else in between.
But before, below is a quick navigational overview of what this article will be about. If you are tight on time, then the overview will make it way easier for you to get to what you want.
So let’s get into the very first question that you might be interested in,
Does Ketogenic Diet Work For Diabetes?
For a long time now, health experts have continuously recommended the ketogenic or keto diet for diabetics and the question that often comes to the fore is, does it actually works?
To begin easy, type 2 diabetes diets normally focus on weight loss and having a diet high in fat recommended for a diabetic would seem a little farfetched. However, it is important to note that a keto diet is not just high in fats but also low in carbs and is therefore able to change the way our bodies store and use energy with effect that they alleviate diabetes symptoms.
How it works
The diet enables the body to convert fats, as opposed to sugar, into energy. As a result, it greatly improves the level of blood sugar and reduces the need for insulin. Though it is high in fat, its goal is not to add more weight to the already overweight patient but rather to escalate the processes by which his body uses for energy production as opposed to using too much of glucose or carbohydrates. Therefore, the diet offers fat as the chief source of energy.
So, does it work?
This question can be answered in a flat “YES’’, but there are things a patient needs to settle with even as they take to a keto diet.
While the diet will immensely improve your diabetic condition and also add more energy to your body, the mere fact that it is viewed as a fat-rich diet does not necessarily mean any fat is good fat. You chances of improvement will also be pegged on the extent to which you regulate your intake of sugars so at all cost, insist on the body-friendly, non-refined sugars.
Read more about this here.
Ketogenic Diet And Diabetes. What’s The Deal?
What does statistics say?
A 2005 study published in the journal Nutrition and Metabolism evaluated the effects of a ketogenic diet in 21 people with type 2 diabetes for a period of 16 weeks.
The study revealed that at the end of the period, there was a remarkable improvement in the blood glucose level by over 16% as well as a reduction in weight loss by over 6%.
However, what baffles many even to date is how this diet that is considered so high in fats can actually help with diabetes, a condition for which fats is believed to be one of the chief contributors.
The relationship between a ketogenic diet and diabetes can only be drawn by first understanding that the body normally converts sugar into glucose.
When this process takes place in diabetics, it naturally results to glucose deficiency and in the end, a person will find themselves consume more sugars than they ought to. What a keto diet does is it presents fats as the better alternative as a substrate in the energy making processes in the body. This now means the body will not be suppressed by excessive glucose levels and it can therefore make do with the average amount consumed in normal diets and meals.
Are all fats good fats?
Absolutely not. A keto diet does not necessarily mean all fats are good and indeed, there are clear sources of fats recommended here. Some of these include eggs, fish such as salmon, olives and olive oil, avocado and seeds. Other sources include nuts and nut butters and cottage seeds.
It is important to note that the diet also has a direct correlation with the level of blood glucose. This diet could decrease the level of glucose in the body. It is important to have your blood sugar level checked to ensure it stays within the healthy levels. In case it falls too low, your nutritionist will recommend a carbohydrate diet to help offset the imbalance.
You can read here.
Benefits Of Ketogenic For Diabetics
Here are some of the benefits keto diet has for diabetics:
1. It Helps In Weight Loss:
High intake of carbohydrates lead to significant weight gain. Most diabetics struggle with excess weight. Taking low carbohydrate foods leads to natural weight loss. Different studies have shown that low-carbohydrate dieters lose weight faster that low-fat dieters. The reason behind this is because low carbohydrate diets get rid of unwanted water from the body system. Since they keep insulin levels low, kidneys start to shed excess sodium, which results into rapid weight loss especially in the first month.
2. Reduced Insulin And Blood Sugars:
Ketogenic diets advocate for low carbohydrate foods which translates to low glucose in the blood. Low blood sugar levels also translate to low insulin which is directly attributed to diabetes 2. Insulin regulates blood sugar levels and prevents it from reaching toxic levels which are harmful.
3. It keeps one at a reduced risk for contracting diabetes 2.
Ketogenic diet is very valuable to people with diabetes 2 but are not using insulin medication or pre-diabetics who would like to reverse their condition. This is because ketogenic diets which limit feeding on sugars and refined grains facilitates improvement in diabetic dyslipidemia. For the diabetics already on insulin medication, they should consult with their doctors before adopting any Keto diet because the dosage should be adjusted.
4. Ketogenic Diet Treats Metabolic Syndrome.
Metabolic syndrome is a medical condition that places one at a high risk of diabetes. It is a collection of syndromes like elevated blood pressure, high blood sugar levels and high triglycerides. All these symptoms are linked with insulin resistance. Ketogenic diets have been known to greatly improve all these symptoms. This is through interception or correcting insulin resistance
5. Suppresses Appetite Naturally.
Hunger is the reason why most people on diet keep on falling back to the foods they are running away from. It makes one feel miserable and unable to resist the temptation. However, it’s easy for one to conquer this temptation during ketosis. Low carbohydrate food helps one to reduce their appetite for foods that can make them to overeat. The brain and muscle tissues burn ketones and conserve blood sugar during ketosis.
6. It Helps Patients Reduce Medications.
Using ketogenic diet is a sure way of substituting use of medicines. When one is on a Keto diet plan, they are more likely to put down some of their medications because ketosis helps improve their health in a big way. Most of the patients who started ketosis while on insulin medication have always dropped it or had it modified by their doctor. Ketosis registers high level success and it is even preferred to be used on pre-diabetics and those who have not started using insulin medications before any medical therapy is recommended for them. The fact that it embarks on consumption of natural high-fat foods is enough assurance that less side effects are expected to happen.
7. Keto Diet Promotes Healthy Living.
Apart from prevention and management of diabetes, it promotes a healthy lifestyle. Throughout ketosis, one refrains from processed foods and feeds on whole grains and high-fat foods. Most patients turn this to be a lifestyle even after 6 months.
Read more about keto diet benefits here.
Ketogenic Best And Yummiest Recipes:
Stuffed Banana Peppers With Sausage:
- 1 tablespoon chopped yellow onions.
- 3 chopped banana peppers.
- Marinara sauce.
- 1 sweet sausage.
- 1 tablespoon ghee.
- · Preheat the oven appropriately.
- · Rub the bananas in olive oil and bake for 20 minutes
- · Cook sausage over medium heat then add ghee and onions and cook for 5 more minutes.
- · Remove the banana peppers from the oven then fill with sausage mixture.
- · Serve hot.
Bacon Blue Salad:
- 200g crumbled bacon
- 100g fresh spinach(shredded)
- 200g zucchini noodles.
- 5og crumbled cheese.
- 50g bleu cheese dressing.
- Mix all the ingredients together and serve.
- One can also add fresh broccoli or cauliflower.
Eggs With Chicken Salad:
- · 200g of shredded or chopped chicken.
- · Chopped onion.
- · 3 eggs.
- · I tablespoon mayonnaise.
- · 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
- · 1 tablespoon dill
- · Celery salt.
- · Mix the all the ingredients except eggs.
- · Freeze the chicken salad.
- · Bake the eggs.
- · Shell, cool and cut them in halves. You can eat the yolks.
- · Pour the chicken salad into the egg halves, sprinkle some old bay seasoning and serve.
Cauliflower Hash Browns With Onions:
- 1 egg.
- 1 onion
- 200g diced cauliflower.
- Fresh pepper.
- 1 tablespoon diced green pepper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon diced red pepper.
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl and pour into a preheated pan sprinkled with olive oil.
- Shape them well using a spatula to get a round shape.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until brown and crispy then flip the hash brown.
- Remove from the pan and serve as desired.
Strawberry Cream Smoothie:
- · 10 strawberries.
- · 3 tablespoons of sugar-free vanilla syrup.
- · 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer and serve immediately.
- 200g tomato goat cheese.
- A pinch of salt.
- 100g shelled pistachios.
- Slice the goat cheese and form them into balls.
- Crush the pistachios lightly and add salt to taste.
- Cover the balls with pistachio mixture by rolling them around the mixture.
- Roll again in pistachio dust and serve as desired.
- · 1 sausage.
- · Ghee.
- · Chopped yellow onion.
- · 3 eggs.
- · Cheddar cheese.
- · 40z organic cream cheese
- · Chopped scallion.
- · Prepare the oven and grease the loaf pan.
- · Beat the eggs in a bowl then add half of the cream cheese, onion, sausage and mix.
- · Pour this mixture and the meatloaf in the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- · Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes then spread the rest of cheese, scallions and cheddar cheese.
- · Bake for 5 minutes until the cheddar cheese becomes golden.
- · Remove from the oven and serve after 5 minutes.
Homemade Keto Cereal.
- · Flaked coconut.
- · Unsweetened almond milk
- · Spread the coconut flakes on a baking sheet and bake them for 5 minutes.
- · Once they brown, take them out and stand them until they become crispy.
- · Transfer into a mug with almond milk and serve as desired.
- · 200g sunflower seeds
- · 200g coconut flakes
- · 200g macadamia nuts.
- · 100g peanut butter
- · 200g almonds.
- · 100g coconut butter.
- · 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
- · Preheat the oven.
- · Grind the ingredients in a blender shortly
- · Transfer into a baking dish and bake until brown.
- · Remove and serve.
Peanut Butter Cups:
- · 2 packets stevia.
- · Sweetened chocolate.
- · Unsalted butter.
- · Peanut butter
- · Melt butter and chocolate in the microwave then add stevia. Stir in peanut butter and cream to taste.
- · Pour into muffin cupcake papers and freeze then serve.
Pork medallions served with onion relish.
- · 1 medium-sized onion.
- · All purpose flour, half a cup.
- · 12 ounces’ pork.
- · 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- · ¼ cup cranberries.
- · ¼ cup chicken broth.
- · Salt.
- · Ground black pepper.
- · 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
- Cut fat from pork then cut into 8 slices crosswise. Wrap the pieces in plastic bags then pound them with a mallet to get ¼ inch thickness then dispose the wrap.
- Mix the flour, pepper and salt. Coat the pork slices by dipping them into the mixture.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the coated pork and cook for 3-4minutes till it turns pink at the center. Turn once halfway during cooking time. Transfer pork to a serving dish and cover with aluminium foil. Repeat this for the other pieces.
- In the same oil, fry onions till they are crispy. Mix the cranberries, vinegar and broth and add into the skillet. Serve the mixture over pork slices.
- · Cayenne pepper sauce
- · 2 chicken drumsticks.
- · 1 spoon smoked paprika.
- · Dried thyme.
- · 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- · 1 bay leave.
- · Put drumsticks in the cooker: mix thyme, picante sauce, paprika, pepper sauce and bay leaf then spoon it over the chicken.
- · Cook on low heat setting for 6 hours.
- · Transfer chicken to a serving dish, spoon the sauce evenly on all drumsticks and stand for 10 minutes then dispose remaining sauce.
Chicken tortilla soup.
- · 10 ounces cooked chicken
- · 2 Stewed tomatoes
- · Minced garlic
- · Tortilla chips
- · Stir-fried vegetables.
- · Reduced chicken broth.
- Mix vegetables, garlic, broth, tomatoes and water, cover and cook under low heat for 6 hours.
- Top the servings with tortilla chips.
- a piece of cooked chicken
- pitted green olives
- 3 ounces sliced salami
- artichoke heart.
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Add little olive oil then season appropriately.
- Pour minimum dressing then toss to coat.
Cinnamon Ricotta Oatmeal.
- Ricotta cheese 200g,
- favorite sweetener.
- Mix the ingredients
- microwave till hot and eat.
Crunchy Keto Granola:
- 100g almonds
- diced walnuts,
- coconut flakes
- coconut oil
- A sweetener.
- · Prepare the oven.
- · Mix all the ingredients and bake for 10 minutes till brown
- · Remove, add sweetened milk and serve.
Strawberry Salad With Goat Cheese.
- Sliced strawberry,
- 100g zucchini noodles,
- a spoon of goat cheese
- minced garlic
- avocado oil
- pepper for dressing.
Mix salad ingredients and blend dressing ingredients then mix and enjoy.
Peanut Butter Mousse.
- Peanut butter
- organic whipping cream each 30g
- 2 raspberries.
- Mix the peanut butter with the whipping cream and freeze.
- Immerse raspberries into the mousse then put in a bowl and eat.
- Coconut almond milk(unsweetened).
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa.
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
- Heat the almond coconut milk over medium heat, add cocoa and mix till it's smooth.
- Add shea butter, transfer into a cup and top with the heavy cream then drink.
- · 1 cup sliced watermelon.
- · Vanilla sweetener.
- · Whipping heavy cream.
Put all the ingredients in a blender and pulse till they are smooth, transfer into a mug and serve immediately.
Does Keto Work Better For Women Than Men?
The battle between the effectiveness of keto between men and women has lasted long enough. It is true that keto works for women but not as effectively as it does for men. This is due to the following reasons:
Men are more masculine than women.
Men’s bodies have more muscle than women. This needs demands a lot of energy to keep the body activities up and running. Men’s bodies are always burning calories whether they are at rest or active. During keto, men are likely to lose more weight than women because of the calorie demand in their bodies. Feeding on low carbohydrate foods cuts down on calorie supply, which means fats are burnt down in a higher rate. Women are less active and so is their rate of losing weight. This is according to a study conducted by Melissa Musiker, who is a dietitian working in public relations in Columbia district.
Men are stronger in resisting temptation.
A study carried out in the National Academy of Sciences proceedings found out that men are more likely to resist when tempted with their favorite food. This can also be attributed to the way women's bodies function. They may not be able to control cravings that come along with ovulation and menstruation. This implies that women are more likely to succumb to cravings for foods that are way off their keto diet plans, hence slowing down weight loss.
Men and women have different preferences in relation to choice of diets. According to Joan Salge Blake, who is the spokesperson to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in Boston, women tend to choose meals that put more emphasis on fruits and vegetables. These include Mediterranean and DASH diets. The other preference for women is low fat and sugar- free foods. This is contrary to keto, which advocates for low carbohydrates and high fat foods.
Men on the contrary prefer foods high-protein diets such as paleo and Atkins. This gives them an upper hand for the success of keto diet plans. Foods that impose limits and portion control are more likely to be consumed by men.
Weight loss is closely related to emotional stability in women and men. Multiple studies have concluded that men are more resilient when it comes to emotional stability than women. The female body is often disrupted by hormonal changes in different times of the month, which affects emotions as well as feeding habits.
Stress interferes with appetite in most people. It either causes loss of appetite or spikes appetite. Both of these effects influence keto, which is purely a diet based program. For this reason, keto is more likely to work in men due to their higher emotional and hormonal stability. Men are more enduring and their bodies undergo less hormonal variations compared to women. They are able to successfully undergo keto without major drawbacks compared to women. This is enough proof that keto works better for men than women. However, women are able to maintain their target weight because they tend to gain weight slowly compared to men.
If you are more into numbers, have a look at this study here.
Keto diet is the perfect diet for people with diabetes. It helps keep the insulin down and blood sugar balanced, giving diabetics a way to eat more and still lose weight.
Now, let us know what do you guys think about keto diet and diabetes? Have you ever tried to implement this diet and saw results? Thanks